Lilly Name Meaning | Origin, History & Popularity
Lilly is a feminine given name with an interesting history, cultural significance, and famous people associated with it. In this research article, we will explore the meaning, popularity, cultural significance, and notable people who bear the name Lilly.
The name Lilly is of English origin and has different meanings depending on the source. It is often derived from the flower, which symbolizes purity and innocence. The name is also believed to be derived from the Old French name Lili or Lilie, meaning “lily.” Some sources suggest that the name Lilly may have originated from the Latin name Lilia, meaning “lilies.” In any case, the name Lilly is strongly associated with the lily flower.
The name Lilly has been popular for over a century. According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), Lilly was the 139th most popular girl’s name in 2020. Its popularity has fluctuated over time, with the highest ranking occurring in 2011 when it was the 106th most popular girl’s name. The name has seen a rise in popularity since the early 2000s.
The name Lilly has a long history and can be traced back to medieval England. During the Middle Ages, the lily was a symbol of purity, and the name Lilly became associated with virtues such as innocence, beauty, and grace. The name was also commonly used in the 19th century, and it became popular in America in the early 20th century.
The name Lilly has cultural significance in various societies. In Christianity, the lily is a symbol of the Virgin Mary and is associated with the Annunciation. It is also associated with Easter and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The lily is also an important symbol in many other cultures, including China, where it is considered a symbol of good luck, and Japan, where it symbolizes purity and rebirth.
The name Lilly has been given to many notable people throughout history. Here are a few famous people who bear the name Lilly:
- Lilly Pulitzer: Lilly Pulitzer was an American fashion designer and socialite known for her colorful and vibrant designs. She founded the Lilly Pulitzer brand in the 1950s and became a prominent figure in the fashion industry.
- Lilly Singh: Lilly Singh is a Canadian YouTuber, comedian, actress, and television host. She is best known for her YouTube channel, “IISuperwomanII,” which has over 15 million subscribers.
- Lilly Wachowski: Lilly Wachowski is an American film director, screenwriter, and producer. She is best known for co-directing and co-writing The Matrix series with her sister Lana Wachowski.
- Lilly James: Lilly James is an English actress best known for her roles in the films Cinderella, Baby Driver, and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.
- Lilly King: Lilly King is an American swimmer and Olympic gold medalist. She is a world record holder in the 100-meter breaststroke and is considered one of the best swimmers in the world.
The name Lilly is a timeless and elegant name that has been popular for over a century. It is associated with the lily flower, which has symbolic meaning in various cultures and religions. The name has been given to many famous people, including fashion designers, YouTubers, actresses, and athletes. The name Lilly is a beautiful choice for parents looking for a classic and timeless name for their daughter.