Easton Name Meaning | Origin, History & Popularity
Easton Name Meaning
Easton is a name of English origin that has gained popularity in recent years. In this article, we will explore the meaning of the name, its famous bearers, its history, and its variations.
Meaning of the Name:
The name Easton is derived from the Old English words “east” and “tun,” which mean “east” and “town” respectively. Therefore, the name can be interpreted as “eastern town” or “town in the east.”
Famous People with the Name:
- Easton Corbin – an American country music singer and songwriter known for hits such as “A Little More Country Than That” and “Roll With It.”
- Easton Ellis – an American author known for his controversial novels, including “American Psycho” and “Less Than Zero.”
- Easton LaChappelle – an American engineer and inventor who created affordable, 3D-printed prosthetic limbs.
- Easton Pearson – an Australian fashion label founded by designers Pamela Easton and Lydia Pearson.
- Easton Wood – an Australian rules football player who played for the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League (AFL).
History of the Name:
The name Easton has been in use since the Middle Ages, and it was a common surname in England. It was often used to describe someone who lived in or was from the eastern part of a town or village.
The name first became popular as a first name in the United States during the 19th century. It was originally more common as a male name, but in recent years it has become more popular as a gender-neutral or female name.
There are several variations of the name Easton, including:
- Eastin – a variation of the name that is more common as a surname.
- Eason – a variation of the name that is more common in Ireland.
- Eston – a variation of the name that is more common in Scandinavia.
- Eastyn – a modern variation of the name that is sometimes used as a unique spelling.
- Eyston – a rare variation of the name that is more common in Wales.
The name Easton has a rich history and is associated with a variety of notable people. Its meaning and variations offer a range of interpretations for those who bear the name. Whether you are looking for a traditional or unique name for your child, Easton is a great option with a strong and enduring legacy.