Edison Name Meaning | Origin, History & Popularity
Edison Name Meaning
Edison is a name that has become a common first and last name in the English-speaking world. In this article, we will explore the meaning of the name, its famous bearers, its history, and its variations.
Meaning of the Name:
The name Edison is of English origin and is derived from the Old English words “ead” and “son,” which means “wealth” and “son” respectively. Therefore, the name can be interpreted as “son of wealth” or “prosperous son.”
Famous People with the Name:
- Thomas Edison – an American inventor and businessman who is best known for inventing the light bulb, the phonograph, and the motion picture camera.
- Edison Chen – a Hong Kong actor, musician, and fashion designer.
- Edison Flores – a Peruvian professional soccer player who plays as a midfielder for DC United in Major League Soccer.
- Edison Pena – a Chilean miner who survived the 2010 Copiapó mining accident.
- Edison Arantes do Nascimento – also known as Pelé, a Brazilian soccer player who is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time.
History of the Name:
The name Edison has been in use since the 19th century, and it was originally a surname. The most famous bearer of the name is Thomas Edison, who was born in 1847 and became one of the most influential inventors in history. He is credited with developing the light bulb, the phonograph, and the motion picture camera, among other things.
The name became more popular as a first name in the United States during the 20th century. It has been a popular choice for parents who want to name their child after the famous inventor or who are drawn to the name’s meaning of wealth or prosperity.
- There are several variations of the name Edison, including:
- Edson – a variation of the name that is more common as a surname.
- Eddison – a variation of the name that is more common in the United Kingdom.
- Eadson – a variation of the name that is a combination of “ead” and “son.”
- Edisson – a modern variation of the name that is sometimes used as a unique spelling.
The name Edison has a rich history and is associated with one of the most famous inventors in history. Its meaning of wealth and prosperity offers a positive connotation for those who bear the name. Whether you are looking for a traditional or unique name for your child, Edison is a great option with a strong and enduring legacy.