Fox Name Meaning | Origin, History & Popularity
Fox Name Meaning
Fox is a name that has been used as both a first and last name in English-speaking countries for centuries. In this article, we will explore the meaning of the name, its famous bearers, its history, and its variations.
Meaning of the Name:
The name Fox is of English origin and is derived from the Old English word “fox” which means “fox”. The name was most likely originally a nickname for someone with fox-like features or characteristics, such as cunning or slyness.
Famous People with the Name:
- Megan Fox – an American actress known for her roles in the Transformers franchise and Jennifer’s Body.
- Michael J. Fox – a Canadian-American actor known for his roles in Back to the Future and Spin City.
- Samantha Fox – an English singer, songwriter, and former glamour model.
- Terry Fox – a Canadian athlete and activist who attempted to run across Canada to raise money and awareness for cancer research.
- Emilia Fox – an English actress known for her roles in Silent Witness and The Pianist.
History of the Name:
The name Fox has been used as a surname in England since at least the 14th century. It was likely used as a nickname for someone who had fox-like characteristics, such as cunning or slyness. The name became more popular as a first name in the United States in the 20th century, particularly in the 1920s and 1930s.
The name has also been used in literature and popular culture. For example, the character Fox Mulder in the television series The X-Files was named after the author and philosopher G.K. Chesterton’s detective character Father Brown, whose first name is also Fox.
There are several variations of the name Fox, including:
- Foxx – a variation of the name that is sometimes used as a surname or stage name.
- Fawkes – a variation of the name that is more common in the United Kingdom.
- Foxe – a variation of the name that is more commonly used as a surname.
- Foxy – a modern variation of the name that is sometimes used as a nickname or as a unique spelling.
The name Fox has a long history as both a first and last name, and it is associated with characteristics such as cunning and slyness. Its famous bearers in literature, film, and popular culture have given the name a certain mystique and intrigue. Whether you are drawn to the name for its unique sound or its association with these traits, Fox is a strong and memorable name choice. Its variations also offer opportunities for customization and individualization.