How to tell if platinum is real or fake? Quickly
There are few steps to check if platinum is real or fake:
- Check the weight: Platinum is a dense metal and will have a weight that is similar to other platinum items of the same size. If the item feels light, it may not be made of platinum.
- Inspect the hallmark: Platinum is usually stamped with a hallmark indicating the purity of the metal, it should be visible and readable.
- Look at the color: Platinum has a unique white color with a slight grey undertone. Fake platinum items may have a yellowish or silver color.
- Check the magnetism: Platinum is non-magnetic, if the item is attracted to a magnet, it is not made of platinum.
- Compare the price: Platinum is a valuable and expensive metal. If the price seems too good to be true, it may be a fake.
- Compare it with a known genuine piece: Compare the suspected fake platinum item with a known genuine piece of the same weight, size and shape.
- Test for Platinum: A jeweler or a professional appraiser can use a variety of methods such as acid testing, X-ray fluorescence, electronic conductivity and thermal conductivity to determine if an item is made of platinum.
It’s important to remember that even if an item has all of the above characteristics, it is still possible that it could be a well-made fake. The best way to ensure that you are purchasing real platinum is to buy it from a reputable jeweler or a professional appraiser and get it certified.