Apple Pie Recipe | Quick, Tasty & Easy
Apple Pie Recipe
Apple pie is a beloved classic dessert that is enjoyed by many. It’s sweet, tart, and comforting, especially when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. In this article, we will explore the recipe for apple pie and how to make it at home.
- 2 pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
- 6-7 cups thinly sliced apples (peeled and cored)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Coarse sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the crusts
Roll out one of the pie crusts and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the edges and set aside. Roll out the other pie crust and cut it into strips for the lattice top.
- Prepare the filling
In a large bowl, mix together the sliced apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until the apples are coated evenly.
- Assemble the pie
Add the apple mixture to the prepared pie crust. Dot the top of the apple mixture with small pieces of butter. Place the lattice strips on top of the apples, weaving them over and under each other to create a lattice pattern. Trim the excess dough from the edges of the crusts and crimp them together with a fork or your fingers.
- Brush and sprinkle
Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle coarse sugar over the top.
Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover it with a piece of foil.
- Cool and serve
Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
There are many variations of apple pie that you can make depending on your preferences and what ingredients you have on hand. Here are a few ideas:
- Add spices: You can add other spices to the apple mixture, such as ginger, cloves, or allspice.
- Use different apples: Different types of apples have different textures and flavors. You can use a combination of apples or choose your favorite variety.
- Add nuts or raisins: You can add chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, or raisins to the apple mixture for extra texture and flavor.
- Make it gluten-free: To make the pie gluten-free, use a gluten-free pie crust and substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- Make it vegan: To make the pie vegan, use a vegan pie crust and substitute the butter with vegan butter or coconut oil. You can also use a plant-based milk to brush the top of the pie instead of the egg wash.
While apple pie is not exactly a health food, apples themselves are packed with nutrients and health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of the main ingredient in this recipe:
- Apples are rich in fiber, which can help to promote good digestion and lower cholesterol levels.
- Apples are also high in antioxidants, which may help to protect against chronic diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s.
- Apples contain vitamin C, which is important for immune function and skin health.
- Apples are low in calories and can help to promote weight loss when eaten as part of a balanced diet.