Chicken Parmesan Recipe | Quick, Tasty & Easy
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Chicken Parmesan, also known as Chicken Parmigiana, is a popular Italian-American dish that is loved by many. It consists of breaded and fried chicken breast that is smothered in tomato sauce, topped with melted cheese, and served over a bed of pasta. In this article, we will explore the history of Chicken Parmesan, the ingredients needed to make it, and a step-by-step guide on how to make it at home.
History of Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is believed to have originated in southern Italy, where the dish was made with eggplant instead of chicken. It wasn’t until the early 20th century when Italian immigrants brought the dish to America and replaced the eggplant with chicken breast. Today, Chicken Parmesan is a staple in many Italian-American households and restaurants.
Ingredients for Chicken Parmesan
The ingredients required for Chicken Parmesan are readily available in most households. They include:
- Chicken Breast – Boneless and skinless chicken breasts are best for this recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour – Flour is used to coat the chicken before frying.
- Eggs – Eggs are used to create a batter to coat the chicken before frying.
- Bread Crumbs – Bread crumbs are used to coat the chicken before frying.
- Parmesan Cheese – Parmesan cheese is used to flavor the bread crumbs and give the dish a cheesy taste.
- Salt and Pepper – Salt and pepper are added to enhance the flavors.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is used to fry the chicken.
- Tomato Sauce – Tomato sauce is used to smother the chicken after frying.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Mozzarella cheese is used to top the chicken after smothering with tomato sauce.
- Pasta – Pasta is used as a side dish to the chicken.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Chicken Parmesan
Now that we have all the ingredients let’s go through the step-by-step process of making Chicken Parmesan.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness of about ½ inch.
Step 3: Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Step 4: Dredge the chicken in the flour, then dip it in the egg batter, and finally coat it with the Parmesan bread crumbs.
Step 5: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
Step 6: Remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a baking dish.
Step 7: Spoon the tomato sauce over the chicken, making sure it’s fully covered.
Step 8: Top the chicken with the mozzarella cheese.
Step 9: Bake the chicken in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 10: Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and serve it alongside the chicken.
Variations of Chicken Parmesan
There are many variations of Chicken Parmesan that you can make depending on your taste and preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Use Different Cheese – You can use different types of cheese like provolone, cheddar, or Asiago instead of mozzarella.
- Add Vegetables – You can add vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, or onions to the tomato sauce for added flavor and nutrition.
- Make it Spicy – You can add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the bread crumbs or tomato sauce to make it spicy.
- Use Different Protein – You can use veal, pork, or eggplant instead of chicken to make a different version of the dish.